Getting help at home

When we have a caring role, chores like managing the garden, DIY tasks and larger household tasks can become a real challenge.

We might not have the time, energy, money or skills to complete these tasks which can lead to practical problems as our homes and gardens might become unsafe. Being unable to deal with these issues might also affect our mood and generate stress over time.

Help may be available for these practical tasks around the home and outside space – contact the VOCAL Carer Support Team to talk about what would make a difference to you and get some information on the types of help available.

If you live or care for someone in Edinburgh, here are some of the organisations that provide support with practical tasks at home:

Care and repair – handyman service
Volunteers provide help with DIY tasks in the home.
Tel: 0131 337 1111

Care and Repair – trade referral service
Provide details of trusted tradesman to take the worry out of having someone work in your home.
Tel: 0131 337 1111

Garden aid
A council run scheme may help with grass cutting and hedge cutting.
Tel: 0131 529 7881

Assistance with putting out your wheelie bin and recycling

If you live or care for someone in Midlothian, here are some of the organisations that provide support with practical tasks:

Handyperson Service – This service provides small DIY tasks such as changing light bulbs, moving furniture, gardening etc. for you if you are 65 and over or have a disability. The cost of the service is £7.50/hr, to find out more call McSence on 0131 454 4502 and ask for the Handyperson Service.

Growing Gardeners – this is a local gardening social enterprise run by Mayfield & Easthouses Youth 2000 Project (Y2K). They specialize in offering a professional and affordable garden maintenance service to people in and around Midlothian. To find out more, contact 0131 663 3432, email or go to their website.

Bins – If you are elderly or disabled and have trouble putting out your waste, then we can organise an assisted collection. This will only be offered if there is no physically able person living with you. To find out more, call 0131 561 5284 or email