Think Carer training
Think Carer training raises professionals’ awareness of unpaid carers. This session gives professionals a chance to reflect on how carers are identified and the impact the caring role can have on a carer’s health and wellbeing. The course offers practical tips and easy ways that healthcare professionals can ensure carers feel valued and supported, and the benefit this can also have for the people they care for. We’ll also cover the key practice points of the Carers (Scotland) Act 2016 and the wide range of support offered by VOCAL.
Healthcare professionals are in an ideal position to identify carers and help them access the support and resources they need to improve their quality of life as well as that of the person they care for.
Think Carer training was developed in partnership with NHS Lothian. This training can be tailored to specific groups and learning outcomes.
- Taster session
15 minute overview highlighting carer identification and support available from VOCAL
- Think Carer
1 hour session exploring carer identification, impact of caring, importance of involving carers as equal partners
- Think Carer for health and social care students
1.5 hours including a presentation with group discussions and case study
By the end of the session, you will:
- Recognise who carers are and know how to identify them
- Understand how the caring role can impact carers and know why carers need your support
- Demonstrate an awareness of the key practice points of the Carers (Scotland) Act
- Know how to refer carers to supporting organisations and what support these organisations provide
Register for Think Carer training
“I found the session very helpful and it gave me a greater appreciation of the work unpaid carers do.”
“The information Tracy has provided is clear, relevant and very interesting and informative.”