Personal Independence Payments (PIP)

Personal Independence Payments (PIP) are replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people aged between 16 and 64.

PIP has two components: one if you have daily living difficulties and one if you need help going out and moving around. Like DLA, PIP is a non-means tested benefit for people with a long-term health condition or impairment.

People making a claim for the first time will need to apply for PIP rather than DLA. When you make a claim for PIP you are likely to need an assessment from an independent health professional to help work out the level of help that you need. If you already get DLA, you don’t need to do anything – the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) will contact you.

Support making a PIP or ESA application or assessment

Carers in Edinburgh can get support to complete PIP/ESA applications through our benefits surgeries. Find out more here or contact our Edinburgh Carer Support Team:

  • Phone: 0131 622 6666
  • Email:

VOCAL Midlothian provides support to carers of anyone applying for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Employment Support Allowance (ESA) in Midlothian.

Our carer support team work closely with carers and the person applying for these disability benefits to provide:

  • One to one meetings before the face to face assessment to explain the process and what to expect.
  • Advocacy and support at the assessment to represent your views.
  • Support to complete PIP and ESA application forms.
The service is free for carers in Midlothian who want to apply for PIP or ESA or have an assessment due, or care for someone applying for PIP or ESA.

To find out more about contact VOCAL Midlothian: