The National Carer Organisations have produced a Manifesto for Carers for the local council elections on the 4th of May 2017.
The manifesto calls on all candidates in the local council elections to agree to:
- Protect funding for carer support and ensure there are adequate resources to implement the Carers’ (Scotland) Act
- Increase efforts to improve short breaks provision
- Promote better, preventative support for carers of all ages
- Improve financial support for carers
- Support carers in and into employment.
Carer campaigning pack
The National Carer Organisations have also produced a ‘Carer campaigning pack’ to support individual carers and carer organisations in campaigning during the local government elections in Spring 2017.
The material is intended to help you in lobbying candidates and parties and includes information on:
- The number of carers in each local authority
- Background information
- Registering to vote
- The different parties and how to find you local candidates
- Using the media and social media
- Key messages and asks for candidates.