Getting the most out of the internet can be fun and easy – all you need to do is Try 1 Thing!
Get Online Week 2017 runs from 2 – 8 October, and aims to encourage people make the most of the internet. This year, the campaign asking everyone to try 1 thing – use the internet to do just one thing you’d normally do in a shop or bank, in a doctor’s or chemist, or even over the phone.
You might already use a smartphone, tablet or laptop/computer to check your email, facebook or the weather, but could you make more of the huge benefits the internet has to offer including online learning, access to benefits, job opportunities, communicating with friends and family, saving yourself time and money by using online shopping, banking and comparison sites?
Or could you share your digital know-how with someone else to help them gain more confidence in using websites or other online tools?
Here are a few resources to get you started and increase your confidence and skills online.
Online privacy and security
Getting started online
- Scotland’s Digital Participation Charter
- Learn My Way – Free courses on using a computer, browsing the web, sending an email and finding work online.
- Digital Unite technology guides – from computer basics to downloading music and films
- Learn Direct – digital skills qualification
Local support to get online
- Edinburgh Libraries – free help to get online
- AceIT – computer training for the over-50’s
- The Prentice Centre – beginner class and computer club
- City of Edinburgh Council adult education classes
- R.N.I.B. Online Today – helping people with sensory loss to get online
Building your digital skills
- FutureLearn – free online courses
- Open University – go a step further with a computing/IT degree
- Google Digital Garage – boost your digital knowledge
Digital stuff we love to use at VOCAL