VOCAL offers carers free monthly appointments with an independent advisor, to support them to write and register a Power of Attorney document. This free service should replace the need to visit a solicitor. For more details contact 0131 622 6666 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Planning for the future
Older families often worry about how their sons and daughters will manage financially when they are no longer around to support them. These concerns have grown in recent years partly because, as life expectancy increases, many people who did not expect their children to outlive them now find themselves facing that reality.
Common questions asked by families include:
- How will my son or daughter manage their money when I am no longer around?
- What will happen to my son or daughter’s benefits if they inherit money?
- How can I make sure my son or daughter is not taken advantage of by someone who knows about their inheritance?
- Will the social work department be able to use my son or daughter’s inheritance to pay towards the cost of care?
- What will happen if there are no other family members who can help?
- Will my son or daughter be able to stay in the family home?
For more information and advice check the training section or contact VOCAL's Carer Support team on 0131 622 6666.